What does it take to lead effectively through crisis?
That’s the question that I initially posed to Dennis Van Kampen, President/CEO of Mel Trotter Ministries.
This conversation is timely and valuable because Mel Trotter Ministries provides the community social safety net in Grand Rapids, Michigan for men, women, and children experiencing homelessness throughout the community.
The team at Mel Trotter Ministries is literally on the front lines of the COVID-19 crisis in Grand Rapids, and Dennis is responsible for leading, inspiring, and caring for the Mel Trotter staff who run their programs every day.
In this conversation we talked about Dennis’ personal philosophy and view of leadership, as well as what it takes to lead teams through a crisis situation.
Dennis shares his insights and perspective with us, based on 25+ years of leadership experience, on topics including:
- How to continue leading, day-to-day, during times of crisis.
- In times of crisis, how can you as a leader balance the need to accomplish your organization’s mission, with the reality that you must also care for your team and those who work throughout your organization.
- What it takes to care for and motivate your team to continue showing up and doing great work during a crisis situation.
- As a nonprofit leader, how can you lead and influence others in the community (i.e., other organizations, city and county leaders, etc.), without having any statutory authority.
- How you as a leader can recharge physically, mentally, and emotionally while leading through a crisis.
- What’s the organizational leader’s role in communicating with and engaging the broader community of volunteers, advocates, donors, and the general public during a crisis situation.
The insights Dennis shares are valuable for leaders everywhere, whether you’re facing a crisis like we all are today, or not.
To listen to more episodes in this podcast series, visit the Rainmaker Fundraising Podcast.
Suggest Upcoming Topics
If you would like more information or want to suggest an episode topic or guest, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Newport ONE is proud to be the exclusive sponsor of the Rainmaker Fundraising Podcast.Category: Podcasts